Job posting number: #7180388
Posted: September 19, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Summary:
Under general direction, operate and maintain the Heating Plant equipment in a safe and efficient manner. Major equipment includes deep water intake and associated filtration systems, high pressure steam boilers and auxiliaries, steam- and electric-driven industrial chillers and auxiliaries, heat exchangers, chemical treatment, steam turbines, pumps, switch gear, generator, cooling pond, and control systems.
The role will support the department’s mission and values by exhibiting the following: inclusiveness, respect, initiative, collaboration, innovation, and accountability. The incumbent will strive to provide excellent service when performing job responsibilities and will practice safe work procedures and follow safety rules at all times.
Position is part of a collective bargaining unit. Pay for this position will be $51.03 per hour. Rate is determined by collective bargaining agreement.
• Operates and maintains high-pressure steam boilers, industrial chillers, steam-driven prime movers, gas engine generator, and accompanying ancillary equipment as instructed, providing safe, reliable, and uninterrupted operation of the equipment.
• Ensures plant equipment operations meet the University sustainability goals, standard operating procedures, and all pertinent regulatory requirements.
• Maintains neat and accurate operating and maintenance log entries as required.
• Performs preventive maintenance on a scheduled basis on accordance with written procedures and industry standards, achieving reliable and efficient operation of plant equipment.
• Supervises Plant Operator, with primary plant operating responsibilities in the absence of the Operating Engineer Foreman, Assistant Chief, and Chief Operating Engineer.
• Performs daily tests and analysis on plant chemical treatment programs. Interprets results and make necessary adjustments to achieve and maintain program parameters and regulatory compliance.
• Willingness to work shift vacancies caused by vacations or openings.
• Willingness to work shift maintenance when scheduled or required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of a high school diploma.
• Minimum of three years of experience in the operation and maintenance of industrial grade heating and cooling plant equipment or a minimum of two years of experience in the operation and maintenance of industrial grade heating and cooling plant equipment and demonstrated knowledge of Northwestern’s heating, ventilation and distribution systems.
• City of Chicago stationary engineer’s license or obtain within 6 months of start date.
• Operational experience with straight condensing and back pressure steam turbines and ancillary equipment.
• Working knowledge of the steam and refrigeration cycles.
• Mechanical aptitude and proven ability to maintain operating standards.
• Knowledge of occupational hazards and recurring safety precautions.
• Must be a member of Operating Engineers Local 399 or join after satisfactory completion of a 90-day probationary period.
• Must be able to work rotating shifts and holidays.
• Ability to perform calculations applicable to field of experience.
• Receptive to feedback, willing to lean, embracing continuous improvement.
• Helpful, respectful, approachable, collaborative, team oriented.
• Ability to build strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
• Integrates health and safety precautions into daily activities.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Familiarity with the tools, instruments, methods and standard trade/safety practices pertaining to mechanical, electrical, and plumbing.
• Works effectively in an environment in which the priorities and assignments may vary daily.
• Operating knowledge of DeltaV, pneumatic, and PLC control systems;
• Proficiency with mobile devices including iOS;
• Proficiency with software programs including Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook;
• Demonstrated supervisory skills.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
• Facilitates open and effective communication, cooperation, and teamwork within the unit; Recommends improvements and opportunities to increase efficiency, safety, and reduce costs;
• Analytical skills including critical thinking, decision making, trouble shooting and problem solving.Achieves a standard of excellence with work processes and outcomes, honoring University and Department policies and all regulatory requirements.