Assistant Beamline Scientist
Argonne National Laboratory
Job posting number: #7135904 (Ref:415366)
Posted: March 23, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The X-ray Science Division (XSD) of Argonne National Laboratory enables world-class research using X-rays by developing cutting edge X-ray instrumentation and techniques, and pursuing research in the physical, chemical, environmental, and materials sciences. To accomplish this mission, XSD fully operates 43 beamlines and is a partner in the operation of three more beamlines at the Advanced Photon Source (APS).
We are currently seeking to fill a Beamline Scientist position at the Intermediate Energy X-ray (IEX) 29-ID beamline. This beamline operates in the 250-3000 eV range using a unique electromagnetic undulator as its x-ray source for tunable polarization and quasi-periodic option for harmonic rejection. The beamline has two branches featuring three primary instruments: an Angle-Resolved Photoemission Spectroscopy (ARPES) chamber, a Resonant Soft X-ray Scattering (RSXS) chamber with an in-vacuum Kappa diffractometer, and an Octupole magnet chamber (https://www.aps.anl.gov/Sector-29/29-ID/Beamline-Overview). These instruments are used to probe emergent electronic and magnetic order in strongly correlated electron systems and topological materials, with an eye to discover new concepts and functionalities for potential applications in microelectronics and quantum information sciences.
A successful candidate will:
- Support and grow the RSXS user community
- Develop and implement new techniques and instrumentation including leveraging the high brilliance and/or coherence of the upgraded APS-U x-ray source
- Engage in individual or collaborative research activities with users and partners
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience, or Master’s Degree and 3+ years or experience, a Doctorate, or equivalent.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of x-ray scattering as a probe of long- and short-range atomic and electronic correlations.
- Experience and skill in implementation aspects of x-ray scattering experiments.
- Knowledge of condensed matter physics.
- Interest in developing and maintaining UHV instrumentation for soft x-ray scattering.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Personal attributes should include critical thinking, good judgment, clear sense of purpose, attention to details, ability to work effectively in a team, and accountability.
- Model Argonne’s core values (https://www.anl.gov/our-core-values).
- Understand, value, and promote diversity.
- Experience in Python and advanced data analysis.
- Knowledge of x-ray optics, x-ray detectors, and precision instrumentation.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of synchrotron radiation.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfilePhysics 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.