CODER II HOSPITAL
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
Job posting number: #7130799 (Ref:hlj_43881)
Posted: March 15, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
****Please note...this position can work remotely in the following states: AL, AZ, AR, FL, GA, ID, IN, IA, KS, LA, MS, MO, MT, NC, OH, OK, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WY
- The Health Information Management ("HIM") Coder reviews, analyzes and codes diagnoses and procedures information that uses ICD-9-CM and/or ICD-10 CM. PCS, and/or Diagnosis Related Group ("DRG coding").
- The coding function is a primary source for data and information used in health care today. It promotes provider/patient continuity, accurate database information and the ability to optimize reimbursement. The coding function also ensures compliance with established coding guidelines, third party reimbursement policies, regulations and accreditation guidelines.
- Determine the proper codes for all billable services utilizing ICD-10-CM & PCS code sets for inpatient assignment of diagnoses and procedures in the OPTUM Enterprise Computer Assisted Coding System. Utilizing the medical records in accordance with coding compliance with established coding clinic guidelines, federal regulations and accreditation code of ethics.
- Code for 100% of medical records following discharge with 95% coding accuracy as demonstrated by coding audits and productivity of 1 encounter per hour.
- Alerts Manager of HIM coding or Director of HIM in identifiying and analzying problems or issues that prevent the accurate and timely coding of medical records
- Maintain credentials/certification and education to stay current with all coding of ICD10CM and ICD10 PCS codes and Diagnosis Related Grouper along with and skills to accurately abstract and code medical records
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree – field of study: Health Information Management or related health field
- Three (3) years health care inpatient coding experience.
- Coding Certification required: CCA, CCS, CPC, RHIT, RHIA, CIC
* In lieu of Bachelor's degree and 3 years inpatient coding experiences, two (2) years of inpatient coding experience with one (1) year of experience in Inpatient procedural coding with certification may be considered*
- Thorough understanding of the effect of data quality on prospective payment, utilization, and reimbursement for multiple medical specialties.
- Experience in coding hospital inpatient medical records.
- Excellent Communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with automated patient care and billing systems.
- Competence with MS Office software (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Knowledge of correct coding guidelines.
- Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with coding oncology related services.
- Competence in electronic medical record and encoder.
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.