Job posting number: #7127840 (Ref:hh-61773BR)
Posted: March 12, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Harvard Medical School's Office for External Education is seeking a talented DevOps Engineer with expertise in Amazon Web Services (AWS). The role involves managing the infrastructure, automating processes, supporting development operations, and providing technical support. The engineer will be an important part of OEE's centralization and standardization projects, including creating a centralized web presence, user portal, and consolidating learning management systems. The engineer will also contribute to developing a data warehouse to support business analysis and intelligence teams. This cross-functional role requires hands-on experience in software development and collaboration with various teams on multiple projects and initiatives.
- Oversee operational activities within OEE’s application stack – deployment, monitoring, reporting, patching, and compliance
- Develop a deep understanding of technologies within the OEE portfolio and communicate complex technical issues to audiences of mixed experience
- Utilize best-practice cloud security designs to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the secure environment
- Manage a continuous integration and deployment methodology for AWS-based technologies
- Play a key role in the planning, implementation, and growth of the application stack
- Drive continuous improvement of the application stack through process, architecture, and cost-saving refinements
- Gather and report on relevant and actionable metrics
- Minimum of five years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
- Work is performed in an office setting
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- 2+ years of demonstrable experience in software engineering
- Experience with the majority of AWS technologies. Certifications preferred.
- A strong conceptual and practical understanding of cloud security controls, principles, and best practices
- Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor.
- Ability to work independently and to make decisions at the appropriate time, taking into account the needs of the situation, priorities, constraints, and the availability of necessary information all in support of the core mission.
- Ability to learn and experiment with new technologies and patterns
- Passion for engineering excellence, empowering others, and continuous improvement via collaboration and willingness to learn
Additional InformationThis position is based in Boston, but the work may be done fully or primarily remote. Any remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA*, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA). Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process. *Note: Harvard employees working in California must be exempt.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage. Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University’s COVID-19 Information Website.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.