Research Assistant III - Cell Culture
The Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University
Job posting number: #7123456
Posted: February 7, 2023
Salary / Pay Rate: $54,340-85,675
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAbout us:
Wyss Institute’s mission is to transform healthcare and the environment by emulating the way nature builds. We harness the freedom of academia and the focus of industry in order to translate revolutionary technologies into commercial products and solutions. At the Wyss Institute, faculty from premier academic and clinical institutions, collaborate with staff scientists, postdocs, graduate students, industry experts, business development leaders, and entrepreneurs across disciplines to invent and de-risk new technologies that don’t just succeed at making it to the market – they disrupt it. We support research that universities, companies, and venture capital firms don’t fund because they view it as too risky. We prefer to use the word “challenging,” and we love challenges. For more information, visit: http://wyss.harvard.edu/
You are a collaborative, impact-focused problem solver who wants to be part of a dynamic team dedicated to creating and commercializing novel approaches to global challenges in health care and sustainability. You want the freedom to explore, to push the boundaries of what is possible, and to use your ambition to tackle challenging projects in a fast-paced, industry-focused environment without a lot of administrative hurdles. You enjoy working with diverse groups of people and leveraging your expertise to create innovations that can change the world.
About the role:
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Research Assistant to join the Lewis Research Group. Reporting to the Principal Investigator in the Lewis Research Group and with technical guidance from the bioprinting research team, you will work to complete cell culture, microscopy, and associated molecular biology tasks and protocols in the Lewis Lab. You will also organize and coordinate cell culturing techniques and related lab tasks among Lewis Lab members. Additionally, in this role you will have an opportunity to conduct molecular biology experiments in collaboration with Lewis Lab members, including any necessary microscopy or molecular biology assay analyses.
What you'll do:
- Help design and execute molecular biology experiments, including any necessary microscopy and cell assay analyses, with minimal supervision and in collaboration with Lewis lab members
- Develop and validate experimental protocols
- Organize and assist in collaborative efforts with other Lewis Lab members
- Train new lab members on experimental protocols and techniques
- Carry out routine laboratory maintenance and procedures, such as maintaining equipment, supplies, inventory
- General laboratory responsibilities as required, including maintaining budgets and reporting laboratory results
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
What you'll need:
- Bachelor's degree in biology, biochemistry, microbiology, biomedical engineering, or a related discipline is required.
- 2 or more years of direct cell culture experience and sterile technique is required. Advanced education may count towards years of experience.
- Proven ability to draft and implement lab protocols is essential
- Experience with laboratory equipment monitoring and maintenance strongly preferred Strong organizational skills are a necessity
- Ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment is strongly preferred Strong work ethic, communication skills and team-player oriented personality is essential Excellent molecular biology skills and dexterity
- Experience with flow cytometry, ELISAs, PCR, or microscopy
- Experience with microfluidics and/or related microfabrication techniques Experience working with induced pluripotent stem cells
- Willingness to work outside of your discipline to accomplish project goals
- This is a one year term position with the possibility of renewal.
- Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. Our community will be relocating to a new, state of the art life sciences building in the lively Fenway neighborhood in spring 2023, where you will have access to multiple amenities including a roof terrace with stunning views of Boston and proximity to numerous restaurants and cultural attractions. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.