Assistant Professor of Legal Practice & Director of Competitions
University of Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma, Norman Campus
Job posting number: #7122605 (Ref:if110632)
Posted: February 1, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The University of Oklahoma College of Law seeks applicants for a full-time, benefits-eligible, ranked, renewable-term Assistant Professor of Legal Practice & Director of Competitions to start as soon as the position is filled. The initial appointment will be for a one-year renewable contract that may lead, after three years, to successive, renewable longer-term contracts with security of position consistent with ABA standards.
Compensation will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications. This position reports to the Associate Dean of Graduate Programs and Experiential Learning under the leadership of the Dean of the College of Law.
The successful candidate will direct the Advocacy Programs, fostering academic excellence and innovation to maintain our national reputation for excellence in advocacy training and teaching; demonstrate effective, collaborative leadership; possess excellent communication and teaching skills; practice solid fiscal responsibility and management; possess a record of professional achievement, and expect to carry out a leadership role in the national advocacy community.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- supervise students enrolled in a Competitions course.
- train student advocates and supervise faculty and alumni coaches.
- coach and travel with teams as needed.
- engage in regular College of Law committee assignments and other College of Law service obligations.
- oversee and support the Board of Advocates student organization.
- participate in regional and national organizations focused on advocacy.
- develop and maintain strong networks with faculty, students, alumni, and the bench and bar.
- demonstrate a willingness to design and implement innovative programs and services.
- demonstrate ability to work closely and collaboratively with a diverse student body, faculty, staff, and Alumni.
- coordinate 1L moot-court competition in conjunction with legal writing faculty and Board of Advocates.
- host multiple intraschool competitions and interscholastic competitions as requested by national organizations and determined by the Director to further the advocacy program and College of Law goals.
- oversee the Advocacy curricula and advise the Experiential Learning and Curriculum Committees on advocacy-related skills courses.
- work with Alumni Development to build and maintain external relations with advocacy program alumni, members of the bench and bar, and other supporters of the advocacy program.
- work with Communications staff to market the advocacy programs.
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Superior academic record.
- Minimum of two years’ post-graduation legal experience.
- Current bar licensure in at least one state.
- Superior written and oral communication, marketing, interpersonal, organizational, analytical, assessment, and administrative skills.
- Competition coaching experience and strong background of participation and leadership in advocacy and competitions programs.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of students and professionals.
Applicants are invited to submit a comprehensive cover letter (not to exceed three pages); current C.V., a writing sample (not to exceed 15 pages, double-spaced), and three letters of recommendation to http://apply.interfolio.com/120475. Additional materials may be requested at a later date. The search will remain open until filled.
The search committee will begin reviewing applications on February 15, 2023. Inquiries should be directed to the search committee chair:
Gail Mullins, Associate Dean of Graduate Programs and Experiential Learning
University of Oklahoma College of Law
Email: [email protected]