Manager Service Line
City of Hope
Job posting number: #7117684 (Ref:10019317)
Posted: May 24, 2023
Salary / Pay Rate: $53.19 - $88.82 / hour
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
Key position that has overall responsibility and accountability for managing assigned clinical service line(s) across the clinical enterprise. Specifically, the Manager is dedicated to improving quality, experience, growth, and value through partnership with physicians, administration and nursing. The Manager develops and implements strategies and performance improvement plans, coordinates and manages key initiatives within the service line and monitors and drives key performance indicators. Manager develops monthly review with Clinical and Administrative leadership of enabler performance.
The Service Line Manager is the thought partner and facilitator to Service Line Physician Leaders (chiefs), and has overall responsibility and accountability for performance of his/her clinical service lines, across the enterprise. As such, the senior leader has oversight managing service line strategic planning, setting performance goals and driving service line outcomes.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Ensure a patient centric approach is maintained as true north on all service line operational initiatives. Serve as point individual for the service line on all administrative matters including facilities, IT initiatives, physician relations, recruitment, budget preparation and monitoring, and other resource needs.
- Develop, gather, analyze and report key metrics in partnership with clinical service line leadership team, academic leadership and foundation leadership.
- Develop Service Line strategy, scope, goals, and key milestones, utilizing effective process improvement & project management approaches; including project plan(s); coordinate key leaders and staff; developing timelines, deliverables, business cases and budgets across critical service line projects.
- In partnership with Mutli-disciplinary Service Line MD Leaders (chiefs), meet objectives of Enterprise Service Line:
Leadership and Guidance for Service Line Strategy
- Partner with chiefs, chairs, and regional medical directors to deliver on performance expectations
- Implement strategies to increase physician engagement, build community and set goals and priorities
- Align with enterprise strategies for quality, experience, growth, value
- Set and deliver service-line specific standards and expectations for quality, experience, value and growth across the enterprise
- Establish standards and protocols that provide our patients with the right treatment, at the right location, and right time
- Challenge each project and effort to ensure delivery of:
- (1) Enterprise MD engagement
- (2) Clinical Network Integration
- (3) Standard Enterprise Quality and Care, and
- (4) Program Development and Growth
- Guide direction and progress to ideal state/ outcome by ensuring approval, planning, coordination, implementation, and sustainment in place for projects identified
- Monitor service line scorecard to ensure optimal outcomes and sustainment
- Lead multidisciplinary service line core team to build relationships, set goals and priorities, and hold service line ‘members’ accountable:
- Re-calibration of efforts/ projects to ensure alignment with direction and outcomes when needed. Ensure each project/ effort clearly measures pre- and post- outcomes that reflect enterprise service lien goals
- Solicit provider engagement, both in Duarte and clinical network sites by ensuring network representation and voice, as well as visiting sites
- Align and integrate other activities affecting network optimization into core team agenda (tumor boards, research communication, etc.)
- Provide regular updates to Chair and Regional Medical Directors on progress, barriers, support needed and next steps. Every other month or quarterly meeting cadence recommended.
- Upholds COH values and pillars in strategy and decision making
Deliver on Clinical Care and Operational Performance
- Collaborate with chiefs and regional medical directors to determine clinical algorithms on right location, right time and deliver on clinical and operational performance
- Ensure service line is providing standardized, value-based, precision medicine care for patients
- Implement “clinical network integration” initiatives in concert with Chairs and Regional Medical Directors to ensure network is optimized for clinical program delivery
- Right sizing, access, growth
- Clinical complexity routing- right patient, right location
- Programs and services delivered
- Partner with physician leadership to make recommendation for recruitment, placement and right sizing of clinical FTE throughout the regions
- Responsible for the execution of plan; Project manage key initiatives within service line including developing project plan, milestones, and metrics.
- Effectively influences leaders by leveraging strong interpersonal skills and is responsible for communicating performance results and opportunities.
- Effectively problem solve in a collaborative manner; Ensure successful stakeholder engagement and change strategy, whether leading or participating
- Organize and lead regular service line meetings to ensure alignment among service line members and achievement of goals and objectives set by leadership, share/report on tracking metrics, surface operational issues and solutions, identify operational/capital needs and ensure each is tracking to meeting their annual goals/expectations.
- Partners with Patient Experience Council and Enterprise Quality to advise on initiatives.
- Develops relationships with operational owners of key patient experience domains develops action plans for specific domain improvement opportunities.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelors Degree.
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience.
- Experience with complex project management functions.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- MBA, MHA, MPH required.
- Large Health System or Matrixed Health System.
- Service line development, business development, hospital operations, customer experience management preferred.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
Salary / Pay Rate Information:
Pay Rate: $53.19 - $88.82 / hour
The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.