Per Diem Nurse - Operating Room - 2K sign-on bonus
Job posting number: #7107569 (Ref:10017888)
Posted: September 8, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
Provides professional nursing care as assigned; coordinates care planning with other disciplines to maintain multi-disciplinary approach. Performs all duties within the scope of licensure utilizing the nursing process. Acts as a patient advocate in all ethical and legal aspects.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Utilizes the City of Hope nursing process in clinical practice, which includes: assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation and documentation.
- Administers and controls narcotics and medications.
- Assists all members of the health care team with examinations, procedures and other processes related to direct patient care.
- Responsible for triaging, assessing, implementing and evaluating a plan of care for patients, visitors and employees.
- Provides health care instruction to patient and family members.
- Provides telephone advice to patients using developed protocols and nursing judgment.
- Consults and collaborates with other disciplines, as required, and adjusts care plan as necessary to ensure optimal patient care.
- Maintains patient charts to ensure an accurate record of the patient's medical treatment.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients/families in accordance with hospital standards.
- Demonstrates a level of professional practice that supports the delivery of appropriate care and positive working relationships.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reviewing current literature, attending in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience, and skills required for consideration:
- Graduate from nursing school with a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or Associate Degree in Nursing and currently enrolled in a BSN program (must obtain BSN within two years of hire or transfer).
- 1-3 years experience in an acute care setting and/or outpatient setting
- 1-year perioperative experience.
- Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills
- Current California RN license
- Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR Card through American Heart Association
- ACLS through American Heart Association
Preferred education, experience, and skills:
- Completion of a formal perioperative nursing specialty course
- Bilingual preferred
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- Shift: Evenings
- Job Status: Per Diem
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.