CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Job posting number: #7107397 (Ref:hlj_38948)
Posted: August 5, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Moffitt Cancer Center's Genitourinary Oncology (GU) Program is a world-class destination for patients with cancers related to GU. We are a high-paced, high-volume, National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center with concentrated programs for even the rarest malignancies, and many of our physicians are fellowship-trained in urologic sub-specialties. As a result, we are a trusted partner of physicians across the nation in need to refer their patients to an advanced program for genitourinary cancer diagnosis or treatment.
Our Genitourinary Oncology (GU) Clinic accommodates 70-100 patients daily who have been diagnosed with or require diagnostic testing for any of the following cancers:
- Adrenal cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Penile cancers
- Prostate cancer
- Renal cell cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Urethral, urachal, ureteral or urothelial cancer
Our healthcare team includes Medical Oncologists, Urologists, Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses and Certified Medical Assistants. We are currently looking for a Certified Medical Assistant to join our team.
- Certified Medical Assistants are essential members of the clinic team. They contribute to the healthcare of patients by assisting with exams and procedures, organizing and managing patient flow, and taking on other responsibilities based on the needs of the department.
- The Certified Medical Assistant at our GU Clinic will assist with the following procedures:
- Foley catheter insertions
- Ostomy care
- Staple removals
- Wound care
- Bladder scanning
- Rectal swabs
- Setting up sterile fields
The Ideal Candidate
- The ideal candidate will have the following experience as a Medical Assistant:
- Experience in a high patient volume outpatient clinic
- Experience in a high paced outpatient clinic
- Assisting with Cystoscopy procedures
- Assisting with a range of procedures
- Assists patients with ambulation and/or movement on/off exam table, chairs and/or in and out of wheelchairs utilizing proper body mechanics and safety measures such as, lift equipment.
- After proper patient identification, performs initial patient screening, including vital signs, screening questions, allergy information, and medication history as appropriate. Notifies appropriate staff of positive screening or abnormal vital signs. Documents collected data completely and accurately in medical record including staff notifications. Loads images in preparation for provider visit, as needed. Ensures clinic patient flow is smooth and efficient. Keeps patients and clinical team informed of delays. Communicates effectively to patients, providers, nurses, and other team members.
- Assists practitioner in patient procedures/treatments/examinations, including room preparation, patient positioning, supplies, and equipment. Departs from clinic those patients that do not require nursing intervention. Maintains and uses principles of aseptic techniques and universal precautions when performing clinical duties and tasks.
- Maintains the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care or services based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area. Utilizes computerized systems according to departmental needs.
- Provides support to the provider during clinic by assisting with phone calls and faxes.
- Recognizes emergency situations and implements emergency procedures. Administers first aid and CPR.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma
- Certification or Registration from one of the following organizations:
- American Association of Medical Assistants (AMAA)
- American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP)
- BLS Certification
- Experience performing lab draws and EKG testing.
$3000 sign on bonus within 30 days of hire
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.