Newborn Hearing Screener
Job posting number: #7107365 (Ref:ccf16410611)
Posted: August 4, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Under the direction of the Hearing Screening Coordinator and/or the Department Supervisor, performs hearing screening on all newborn infants prior to their discharge in accordance with Ohio Department of Health rules and facility protocol.
- Appropriately documents required information.
- Communicates the results of the screening(s) and follow up (if needed) to the patients' family in a confidential and culturally appropriate manner.
- Performs hearing screening on all newborn infants using the appropriate objective method: Otoacoustic Emissions (OAEs) and/or Automated Auditory Brainstem Response (AABR).
- Calms and comforts baby while test is being performed.
- Provides for the safe transport of newborns following protocol of hospital infant security system and including infant identification.
- Properly prepares the infant's skin (if needed) and proper placement of sensor tabs and transducer of sound.
- Appropriately follows universal hand washing procedures and infection control policies.
- Verifies proper function of equipment on a daily basis and reports concerns or problems to the Hearing Screening Coordinator and/or Department Supervisor.
- Completes annual training (typically administered by the coordinator/supervisor) to meet requirements by the Ohio Department of Health.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma.
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree in an allied health field may offset experience requirement.
- None required.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Minimum one year of experience in a hospital setting or working with infants.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with all levels of hospital Staff, patients and families.
- Ability to follow directions and communicate professionally.
- Basic computer and typing skills required.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and to be able to move the equipment as needed.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.