Assistant Computational Biologist
Job posting number: #7107209 (Ref:413881)
Posted: August 4, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Computational Biology Group within the Data Science and Learning Division participates in development of the KBase platform as well as projects studying chemistry occurring within microbiome systems. The DOE Systems Biology Knowledgebase (KBase) aims to provide a computational environment to meet the key challenges of systems biology: predicting and ultimately designing biological function. KBase enables secure sharing of data, tools, methods, and conclusions in a unified, extensible system that allows researchers to collaboratively generate, test, and share hypotheses about biological functions; perform large-scale analyses on scalable computing infrastructure; and combine multiple lines of evidence to accurately model plant and microbial physiology and community dynamics.
We seek someone to provide the following functions:
• Participate in development of new KBase scientific applications
• Development of dynamic metabolic models of microbiome systems
• Communication and coordination of new application, pipeline, and method development.
• Documentation of issues, procedures, and practices; publication of research
Required Skills and Experience:
• Extensive experience with Python programming language
• Experience with web services (REST, JSON)
• Experience in metabolic modeling
• Experience in community metabolic modeling, particularly dynamic modeling
• Experience with Git/GitHub
• Ability to communicate well with people of diverse backgrounds and computer knowledge.
• Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
• Flexibility in dealing with assignments and in working on several projects simultaneously.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Experience with iPython notebook/Jupyter frameworks
• Experience working in an academic or research environment
• Knowledge of computational biology
• Knowledge of microbiome omics data analysis
• Experience with cheminformatics and computational chemistry
• Experience with dynamic metabolic modeling of microbial communities
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileComputational Science 1
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.