Professor and Chair - Department of Nutrition Metabolism and Rehabilitation Sciences
Job posting number: #7107170
Posted: August 3, 2022
Job DescriptionProfessor and Chair
Department of Nutrition Metabolism and Rehabilitation Sciences
University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) - Galveston, Texas
University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)
UTMB opened in 1891 as the nation’s first public medical school and hospital under unified leadership. What began as one hospital and medical school building in Galveston is now a major academic health sciences center of global influence, with medical, nursing, health professions and graduate biomedical schools; a world-renowned research enterprise; and a growing, comprehensive health system with hospitals on four campuses and a network of clinics.
The UTMB School of Health Professions
For over a century, UTMB has dedicated its efforts toward improving people’s health in Texas and beyond. In addition to designing and implementing innovative ways to deliver instruction to students at distant locations, the school continuously explores opportunities to expand its program offerings and interprofessional learning. The UTMB School of Health Professionals offers certifications, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral health profession programs. In addition to classroom lectures, our programs offer clinical training opportunities in a variety of settings to ensure our students have exposure to a multitude of professional opportunities.
The UTMB Department of Nutrition Metabolism and Rehabilitation Sciences (NMRS)
Provides an environment of interdisciplinary research, education and scholarship that is recognized internationally for scientific quality and significance. NMRS supports graduate education and research training programs in rehabilitation sciences, nutrition, and physical activity with a focus on recovery associated with disabilities and chronic disease that limit physical independence. Faculty in the department have been awarded a number of federal grants supporting research in all these areas. NMRS faculty have established strong collaborations with other universities and institutions across the nation that contribute to the education and research mission.
Professor and Chair - The Department of Nutrition Metabolism and Rehabilitation Sciences (NMRS) is actively seeking a Professor and Chair to provide leadership and direction to departmental faculty on matter of curriculum and instruction. The Department Chair, will provide leadership and direction to the department for all existing programs, look to expand and develop new programs, and lead the faculty on matters of curriculum, instruction, research, diversity, scholarship, service, clinical enterprise.
Essential Responsibilities and Functions:
• Provide leadership and direction to departmental faculty on matters pertaining to curriculum, instruction, and scholarly activity.
• Develop and expand the research capacity of the department.
• Responsible for faculty recruitment, retention, and development.
• Manage expenditures and revenues to create a balanced operational budget.
• Foster and obtain training and research grants sufficient to offset operating deficits.
• Contribute to a department culture that promotes collaborative decision-making, and affirms equity, diversity, and inclusion.
• Develop and strengthen alumni relationships.
• PhD degree or equivalent from an accredited institution in a relevant field.
• Eligible for an appointment at the Professor level.
• Evidence of excellence in communication and interpersonal skills, established record of scholarly accomplishments, organizational, and strategic planning skills.
• Established record of administrative responsibilities and scholarly accomplishments.
• Evidence of extramural funding, supervisory abilities, and leadership roles.
• A solid record of clinical mastery.
Income Package: Salary will be commensurate with Academic rank, qualifications, experience, and educational background. In addition, UTMB offers a superior benefits package, an excellent retirement program, a relocation allowance as well as many other potential incentives.
Living in South Houston and Galveston, Texas: Galveston Island is home to approximately 50,000 residents and is known for its 32 miles of Gulf Coast beaches, temperate climate, wide array of leisure and cultural activities, and affordable cost of living – all just south of Houston, the 4th largest city in the US. More information about UTMB and Galveston can be found on the UTMB Living Website: http://www.utmb.edu/utmbliving/
Interested candidates should submit a Cover Letter and current Curriculum Vitae (CV) to Skott Harrington via email, [email protected]. Please be sure to include a preferred contact method.
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veteran’s and individuals with disabilities.