Research Bioinformatician II - Li Lab - Computational Biomedicine
Los Angeles, CA
Job posting number: #7106890 (Ref: HRC0905085A)
Posted: July 30, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Everyone’s unique health journey is informed by data. Join us as we translate today's discoveries into tomorrow's medicine!
Cedars-Sinai is home to some of the most advanced biomedical research and training programs in the world, which attracts renowned physician-scientists seeking an unparalleled environment for fostering invention and teamwork.
The Department of Computational Biomedicine under Dr. Moore's leadership reflects Cedars-Sinai's commitment to advancing medical discovery and the recognition of the foundational role complex data plays in our research and clinical care.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The Research Bioinformatician II (RBII) performs general bioinformatics analysis and software support for projects involving omics while interacting with investigators to identify research problems, find appropriate software tools, and recognize national biological databases as well as online resources for omic data. The RBII runs omic data including loading and querying data from the database systems and public repositories, transforming and merging multilevel omic data into user-friendly formats while assisting in the development, testing, and maintenance of modular software pipelines. The RBII provides bioinformatics data analysis, preliminary interpretation of the data, and reports of the results for possible publications. As a Research Bioinformatician II, collaborate with bioinformatics faculties to determine future bioinformatics needs and demonstrate continuous self-improvement making effective contributions while adhering to CSHS compliance plan, code of conduct, and hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide general bioinformatics analysis support for omic projects and mainly responsible for data analysis and software compilations including next-generation sequence data processing, biomedical data analysis, and visualization tools and browsers.
- Summarize data analyses results in the form suitable as the basis for the first draft of written reports, and make preliminary interpretations of the data.
- Develop, test, and maintain modular software pipelines for omic data processing, QC, assembly, analysis, annotation, and further exploration.
- Manage data including loading and querying data from database systems, downloading omic data from public repositories, and transforming data to the necessary formats.
- Familiar with medical and biological terminologies, bioinformatics resources, and national biological databases, Ready to provide solutions for investigator’s problems through data mining and extraction
- Identify, evaluate, and incorporate relevant algorithms and software pipelines by reviewing pertinent literatures in bioinformatics and computational biology
- Assist or collaborate in the preparation of grant proposals, publications, and presentations involving omic data
- Help develop tools and pipelines as necessary to keep pace with rapid advances in sequencing technology.
- Educate others about bioinformatics through mentoring and teaching colleagues, investigators, fellows, and graduate students.
Master of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electric Engineering, Computational biology, or Bioinformatics, or Master of Science/ Engineering in relevant fields (e.g. Biology with strong quantitative training, biostatistics with a concentration in bioinformatics), required.
Experience & Skills:
- Three (3) years in a research environment.
- Background and work knowledge in algorithms, scientific computing, and machine learning or statistics.
- Familiar with C/C++, Java, Perl, Python, and the Unix (Linux) environments.
- Experiences in manipulating, analyzing, and annotating very large genomic (e.g. NGS) data sets both in exploratory and pipelined fashions.
- Working Title: Research Bioinformatician II - Li Lab - Computational Biomedicine
- Department: Computational BioMedicine
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Bioinformatics
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.