Senior Physician Assistant - Cardiothoracic Surgery
Los Angeles, CA
Job posting number: #7106886 (Ref: HRC0721456A)
Posted: July 30, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Would you like to be part of a team of colleagues with deep experience across all specialties, including transplantation, stem cell therapy, congenital heart disease, women’s heart health, valve disorders, arrhythmia and hypertension? Do you have a passion for the highest quality and patient happiness? Then please respond to this dynamic opportunity available with one of the best places to work in Southern California! We would be happy to hear from you.
The Smidt Heart Institute is home to a distinguished team of experts who are setting the bar for cardiovascular treatment in the United States. The Institute unites 16 centers and programs to diagnose and treat the full spectrum of heart and vascular conditions for all patients, from infants to those with advanced disease. Compassionate care is integrated with an agile research enterprise, giving patients access to pioneering treatments.
Under the supervision of Cardiac Surgeons and within the physician assistant's competence, the Sr. Physician Assistant provides services to cardiac surgical patients. In the operating room, he/she acts as the first or second assistant, endoscopically harvesting veins or arteries for CABG procedures, transplant surgeries, opening and closing the chest, cannulation, decannulation, etc. The Sr. PA is responsible for the planning and coordination of all aspects of the work up and care of the patients in the unit including management of MCS and Heart Transplant patients. The Sr. Physician Assistant is also responsible to:
- Provide coverage and care for cardiac surgery patients at Cedars Sinai and Tarzana Medical Center
- Obtain and perform history and physical examinations
- Record and interpret pertinent data (i.e., labs, diagnostic studies, discharge summaries, progress notes, etc.), including writing orders and discharges.
- Evaluate, treat and diagnose patients under the supervision of a licensed physician
- Write a daily progress note on inpatients, collate inpatient records and perform discharge summaries, utilizing the electronic medical record.
- Participate in daily interdisciplinary rounds
- Coordinate ongoing overall patient care with physician staff, nursing staff and other ancillary care providers to ensure treatment plans are implemented.
- Assist or perform bedside procedures within the scope of service.
- Maintain communication with patients and families regarding care
- Demonstrates skills and knowledge necessary to deliver care appropriate to adult and geriatric patients, including knowledge of growth and development, the ability to obtain and interpret information to identify patient needs, and provide the care needed
- Perform assigned work safely, adhering to established departmental safety rules and practices
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Participation in Quality activities, including Unit Practice Committees.
The PA will be working with a large PA/NPs in the team, and will be responsible to provide comprehensive services primarily in the step down unit, operating room, and consultative service, and occasionally in the outpatient clinic. The PA will be working at both Cedars Sinai and Tarzana Medical Center, a Cedars Sinai affiliate.
This position does require incumbent to work rotating night shifts (inhouse) and weekends (inhouse)
- Graduate from a PA program approved by Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation required
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid California PA license required
- PA certification issued by national Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants required
- DEA License required
- Current ACLS certification required
- Working experience in CT Surgery is a must
- Experience in endoscopic vein and/or artery harvest required
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a physician assistant (will consider as Physician Assistant for less experienced candidates)
- Minimum of 3 year of experience with cardiac transplant medicine preferred
- Must have strong intraoperative skills
- Radial Harvesting preferred
- Working Title: Senior Physician Assistant - Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Department: Cardiovascular Surg M/S
- Business Entity: Service Lines & Ops
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Clinical Operations
- Job Specialty: Advanced Practice (PA)
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 12 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.