Grants Manager, Systems Specialist
La Jolla, CA
Job posting number: #7103452 (Ref:spd-2083188)
Posted: June 14, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Sponsored Research Office (SRO) provides timely, high-quality, and coordinated pre and post-award research administrative services to SBP faculty, researchers and other SBP department administrators for sponsored projects.
Under the direction of the Senior Director and Senior Manager of Sponsored Research, the Grants Manager performs sponsored project work of considerable difficulty in interfacing with principal investigators (PIs) and support staff to develop for submission, complex, multi-PI, multi-Institute funding proposals and large-scale contracts to various federal and state agencies, non-federal agencies, and foundations. The Manager identifies funding opportunities that support the Institute’s research goals, and functions as a point of contact for final review of grant and contract proposals. The Manager also advises faculty on award management issues related to elements of post-award administration and provides advice and expertise in the resolution of complex grant management issues.
Enterprise Research Admin Systems:
Supports, plans, coordinates and maintains Enterprise Research Admin system (InfoEd), in support of Institute objectives. Specialist serves as point of contact for deadline-day communication, proposal submission planning and system patch oversight. Develops and maintains specialized databases and systems for recording and tracking grant proposals, awards, and related financial/regulatory information. The Manager also creates and distributes standard and special reports, studies, summaries, and analyses, as required.
The Manager exhibits superior grants management expertise and a commitment to high-quality customer service and willingness to support faculty, staff, and systems in all matters related to sponsored research.
Duties and Responsibilities:
List the essential job functions (i.e., actual job duties); describe what must be accomplished; it is not necessary to indicate how it must be done.
- Serves as grants and contracts subject-matter expert in support of a number of Departments' and Principal Investigators' grants and contracts portfolio.
- Reviews funding proposals to ensure accuracy and compliance with sponsor and institutional policies and requirements.
- Participates as an integral member of SRO training initiatives for new department staff
- Provides guidance to newly hired personnel on processes and procedures related to sponsored research and the Institute
- Provides pre- and post-award general support; troubleshoots internal and external grant/contract system implementation
- Establishes accounts; allocates award budgets; maintains budgets for programs, including reconciliation and transfers; maintains all official award records
- Assists with proposal development and submission of a wide variety of funding opportunities, from highly complex grant mechanisms to standard research grants, career development awards, and fellowships
- Create and present ERA system end-user training programs, and work with employees to create custom reports to better utilize system information
- Maintain user accounts and permissions, and audit account permissions regularly
- Review software update release notes, ensure compatibility, communicate feature changes to employees, and schedule updates to the system
- Completes personnel and sponsor database entry
- Oversees InfoEd ticket resolution
- Supports version upgrades and system enhancements through testing and implementation with InfoEd support team, Sponsored Research Office and IT staff
Education and/or Experience:
Indicate minimum education/experience used to perform the job. Indicate required, preferred or desired as applicable. If not specifically indicated, it is assumed it is required.
- Bachelor’s degree or and five years’ directly related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained is required
- Working knowledge of federal, state and sponsor regulations, guidelines and policies as related sponsored program and research administration
- 2+ years of experience in Grants and Research Administration
- Enterprise Research Admin systems experience required
- Scientific knowledge in pre-clinical setting, administration or operations is highly desired
- Non-profit experience a plus
- Institutional research experience a highly desired
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
List any knowledge, skills and/or abilities used to perform the job. Indicate required, preferred or desired as applicable. If not specifically indicated, it is assumed it is required.
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Possess strong time management skills
- Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective professional working relationships
- Ability to resolve complex problems and facilitate the decision-making processes
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office including Adobe Acrobat
- Operational efficiency of submission portals such as ProposalCentral, grants.gov and ASSIST
- Knowledge of policies, procedures and regulations of various funding sources
- Knowledge of research methods, grants and contracts
- Knowledge of SBP financial and research management tools such as IFAS and InfoEd
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
This Manager in this role will Supervise other employees.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals.