San Diego, CA
Job posting number: #7101961 (Ref:spd-1716140)
Posted: June 8, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
Over its 45-year history, Sanford Burnham Prebys has established itself as one of the world’s preeminent medical discovery institutes. Home to an NCI-designated cancer drug discovery center, an accredited graduate school, the Institute’s team of 600 physicians, research scientists, and support professionals are working to
The Exploratory Pharmacology Senior Scientist will independently plan, execute and interpret non-clinical in vitro ADME and in vivo DMPK studies to support the Institute’s chemical biology projects and drug discovery pipeline. The incumbent will have knowledge and expertise in drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics, and the medium- to high-throughput assays required to support medicinal chemistry and biology teams in the development of compounds. This individual will also support Pharmacokinetic/Toxicokinetic (PK/TK) studies using standard analytical methods and instrumentation, including LC/MS-MS. The scientist will also develop and validate suitable bioanalytical methods for quantifying small molecules and optimizing formulations for their use in vivo. The incumbent will play a pivotal role on cross-functional teams, and author and edit study reports.
- Independently designs and performs experiments and procedures with high degree of complexity, demonstrating increasing expertise with a wide range of techniques
- Provides hands-on expertise
- Interprets results and evaluates of data from different sources and draws relevant conclusions
- Presents results in internal and possibly external meetings
- Anticipates, identifies and analyzes potential scientific and/or technical problems of significant complexity that could arise within a project and devises innovative solutions to move the project forward
- Substantially contributes to writing of reports and manuscripts, and may take primary responsibility for project-specific reports. Communicates relevant project progress to project team, review committees and Prebys Center/Institute senior leadership in both formal and informal written and verbal reports
- May lead exploratory pharmacology for a portfolio of projects and may act as principal scientist leading research on individual projects
- Generates ideas and substantially contributes to developing the aims of a grant
- Collaborate with Co-PI on creating strategy for one or more aims on chemistry grants, and implement strategy when awarded
- Serves as representative of the Center and presents results of projects to partners and collaborators outside of Institute
- Uses external networks to expand scientific knowledge and optimize contributions to projects.
- Mentor and provide guidance to junior team members and other researchers.
- May serve as a scientific backup to supervisor when required
- May supervise direct reports
- May lead multidisciplinary team including direct reports and ensure team’s adherence to the project stage-gates and milestones
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Science (preferred), biochemistry (preferred), chemistry (preferred), physics or related field and a minimum of seven years’ experience in drug discovery research; or an equivalent combination of education (Master’s or Bachelor’s degree), training, and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing new assays, formulation, serial bleeds and dosing
- Demonstrated experience with SciEx instruments and Analyst software
- Familiarity with assisting in the preparation of grant applications a plus
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
- Demonstrates strong proficiency in and knowledge of bioanalytical, in vitro ADME and PK principals
- Experience with designing, conducting and bioanalyzing PK/TK studies
- Prepare samples and perform extraction from a variety of biological matrices
- Interpret, troubleshoot and implement solutions for LC-MS data
- Demonstrates flexibility in adapting methods/skills according to evolving project priorities
- Experience in pharmacokinetic analysis software such as WinNonLin Phoenix, PK solutions or similar.
- Accurately documents experiments
- Collaborates with team members and with cross-unit teams to successfully execute a project to meet its milestones and objectives
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret and present results in meetings
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Be responsible and have strong time management skills
- Able to analyze and resolve issues of high complexity. Can design experiments to resolve key issues and collaborates with the entire team to implement the experiments.
- Possess strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional proficiency in standard software, including MS Office, and WinNonLin or PK modeling software. Be able to learn other software, such as chemistry-specific software (e.g D360)
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for emerging health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.