Job posting number: #7100379 (Ref:413412)
Posted: May 19, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Argonne National Laboratory has an opportunity for a talented Analytical Radiochemist within the Environment, Safety and Health (ESH) Division.
The Analytical Services team’s mission is to provide high quality measurements and accurate data to primarily support Environmental and Radiological Protection programs. This individual will work within a team of scientists responsible for analysis of liquid and solid samples for radionuclide, organic and inorganic analytes. These measurements allow for research and operations to be safely conducted onsite and helps maintain the necessary compliance for regulatory requirements.
The Analytical Radiochemist has a fundamental role in ensuring the timely analysis of routine and event driven samples. Responsibilities include following safety policies and procedures, analysis of routine and event-driven samples, preparation of technical reports, assisting with method development, embracing continuous improvement ideas, effective communication, and meeting commitments to customers, stakeholders, and the team. Become part of a team supporting safety, environmental and the world-class scientific research to advance U.S. prosperity and security.
- Learn and understand policies and procedures to consistently execute tasks in the laboratory following safe work requirements.
- Train and become a qualified analyst on numerous standard operating procedures.
- Perform quantitative analyses and measurement of provided samples in support of various Argonne programs under normal and emergency situations.
- Operate and maintain radiochemistry instrumentation in routine service; investigate and help troubleshoot when issues arise.
- Participate and contribute during team meetings by providing relevant and timely information.
- Strive to make processes efficient and effective by evaluating other ideas.
- Understand the requirements of DOE Laboratory Accreditation Program and other Code of Federal Regulations impacting the teams’ operations.
- Keep all required training current by successfully completing courses on-time.
- Participate in the analysis of Proficiency Testing studies to assess quality of measurements
- Assist and participate on management assessments.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Understanding of Good Laboratory Practice principles to achieve safety, consistency and high-quality data to customers and stakeholders.
- Ability to train, operate and maintain instrumentation in proper working condition; experience with ORTEC, Gamma Products and Perkin Elmer instruments a plus
- Experience with utilizing software to control laboratory instruments for data acquisition and processing; previous knowledge with AlphaVision, GammaVision and QuantaSmart a plus
- Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships to achieve individual and team objectives and goals.
- Experience with quality control processes and statistical process control is desirable.
- Ability to constructively question the status quo and provide opportunities for improvement.
- Bachelor's Degree in a science related field (e.g. chemistry, environmental science, biology)
- Passion for the mission of the Lab.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (PT1 or PT2) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- PT1 Level: Bachelor’s and 0+ years of experience, or equivalent.
- PT2 Level: Bachelor’s and 2+ years of experience, or equivalent.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileAnalytical Chemistry 1
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.