Senior Computer Scientist
Job posting number: #7100065 (Ref:413355)
Posted: May 13, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Develops technical strategies for research in emerging technologies. Performs basic research in computer science and applied mathematics, including high-performance computing, networking, cyber security, and distributed computing. Reports on results of research, including publishing scholarly papers and giving presentations. Defines and develops multidisciplinary, multi-institutional initiatives and partnerships to pursue funding opportunities with industry and federal agencies and mentoring early career staff in this process.
- Knowledge and experience in high-performance computing, sensor networking, distributed computing, energy management, and big data analysis technologies.
- Technical, management and executive communication skills to forge external and internal collaborations and to coordinate cross-laboratory initiatives and projects.
- Understanding of current and emerging information technologies, services, and architectures as well as technical and industry trends.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to develop effective working relationships.
- Knowledge of DOE national laboratory environment and other federal funding programs.
- Experience and ability to define and lead multi-institutional initiatives, collaborations, and projects.
- Considerable ability to provide project leadership and generate outside funding for research.
- Demonstrated expertise in multiple high-performance computing systems and architectures and in underlying technical and architectural principles.
- Ability to discern, communicate, and influence directions in important disciplines from a national perspective.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a "Q" clearance is required.
- Bachelor’s and 20+ years, Master’s and 15+ years, or Doctorate and 15+ years, or equivalent.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileComputer Science 6
Time TypePart time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.