Postdoctoral Associate |Freeze Lab
La Jolla, CA
Job posting number: #7087781
Posted: October 25, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionSBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
Dr. Freeze’s research focuses on the discovery, understanding and treatment of human genetic disorders resulting from faulty glycosylation, the process of adding sugar chains (glycans) to proteins and lipids. Glycans are required for proper secretion, targeting and functions of thousands of proteins. Therapeutic approaches for patients with Congenital Disorders of Glycosylation (CDG) focus on monosaccharide and other supplements.
POSTDOCTORAL ASSOCIATE POSITION IN THE FREEZE LAB
Conduct cellular experiments on discovery, validation, biochemical and cell biological analysis of Congenital Disorders of Glycosylation by joining a well-integrated team.
• Perform independent experiments with guidance as part of an established team
• Keep detailed notes, records and follow established protocols
• Proactively share results with PI and team members
• Make formal lab presentations
• Move between multiple ongoing projects as needed based on individual skills
• Be comfortable and willing to interact with physicians and patients as needed
• PhD in biological sciences or MD within the last 3 years
• Extensive mammalian cell tissue culture
• Minimum of 2 peer-reviewed, first author research publications in established journals
• Hands on experience and training in at least 3 of the following: Glycobiology, DNA technology, biochemistry, cell biology, metabolic cell labeling, protein trafficking, proteomics/glycoproteomics, LC-MS and/or GC-MS, high-throughput analysis, protein structure
• Must be eligible to work in the United States. Individuals requiring sponsorship will not be considered
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
• Must be organized, time efficient, prompt, and work as part of a high-functioning, well integrated team of scientists
• Must speak, write, understand, and have daily conversations in fluent, academic English
• Work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Show respectful, interactive, and supportive spirit
• Comfortable with frequent communication with others
• Must balance independence and self-reliance with willingness to learn new skills
• Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected] Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.