1320 Mercy Drive N.W., OH
Job posting number: #7087732 (Ref:16924761280)
Posted: October 25, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Surgical Technician provides quality individualized patient care in the perioperative, intraoperative, and postoperative phases of the patients’ experience. Provides peer education, maintenance of the sterile field, advocacy, efficient provision of resources, maintenance of supply inventory, enforcement of standards, and integration and coordination of care across the surgical setting. Follows guidelines for perioperative practices as established by AORN.
- Reviews daily assignment and ascertains surgeon-specific preferences and anesthesia.
- Identifies and prioritizes individual patient care needs, taking into consideration age, physiological, cultural, and physical status.
- Plans care based on contemplated procedure, standards of practice, admission assessment and MD preferences.
- Assembles, checks, and opens sterile packs, sutures, etc. Practices and assists others in maintaining aseptic technique and electrical and environmental safety in department.
- Complies with required standards for patient positioning, skin preparation, counting, side-site verification, and other departmental policies and procedures.
- Remains with the sterile set-up to assure maintenance of the sterile field. Assists with draping; reports/corrects any break in sterile technique as they occur.
- Prepares/edits surgeon’s preference lists to assure quality care of the surgical patient.
- Communicates pertinent information during procedure and during personnel changes, including status of surgical procedure.
- Collects specimens as directed by surgeon; identifies origin of each specimen to RN Circulator. Follows standard policy and procedure for specimen collection.
- Completes Repair Worksheet on all malfunctioning equipment with proper follow-through.
- Assures that equipment and supplies are utilized at appropriate levels and returned to their proper location after use.
- Demonstrates prudence in par level supplies and utilization.
- Serves as a resource individual for a surgical sub-specialty.
- Assists surgeon and assistants with retraction and suction as directed.
- Assures that all biohazard material is handled and disposed of properly utilizing universal precautions.
- Coordinates with RN Circulator to assure that required equipment and supplies are available prior to patient entry.
- Maintains an orderly sterile field keeping accurate counts of all sutures, sharps, soft goods, and instrumentation according to policy and procedure.
- Displays dexterity in the use of surgical instrumentation and knowledge of surgical procedure.
- Assists RN Circulator to ensure proper room utilization through decreased turnover time per CPT and scheduled procedural time review.
- Assures that all instrumentation is returned to Decontamination with proper documentation count sheets.
- Within scope of job, requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgement, and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment.
- Must be able to establish and maintain courteous and cooperative relations with patients and others contacted in the course of work and able to empathize with patients suffering from physical or emotional difficulties.
- Workload is heavy and requires constant lifting, moving of patients, equipment, instrument trays, and supplies; able to lift items up to 50lbs without assistance, and greater than 50lbs with assistance; stooping, pushing, and pulling required when moving patients or equipment into position for surgery.
- Ability to work at a fast pace and to prioritize multiples assignments/projects, and respond to numerous requests; ability to resolve conflicts among staff and to work collaboratively with department director, physicians, and other members of the Healthcare team; ability to ensure operational efficiency; ability to problem solve and make decisions; ability to exercise self-control and tolerate stress when dealing with multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple customers.
- Needs minimal sustained direction in assessing work load, directing staff, and carrying out departmental and professional responsibilities; self-starting and self-motivating; working hours may exceed 8hrs per day and is based on what is needed to accomplish completion of the daily surgical schedule.
Educational, Licensure, & Experience Requirements
- Surgical Technology Program accredited through CAAHEP or ABHES required. Completion of military surgical technology program will meet the requirements of an accredited Surgical Technology Program.
- Certification preferred for candidates from accredited surgical technology program. Certification as a surgical technologist waives the educational requirement for hire. Acceptable certifications for this route are TS-C (through the National Center for Competency Training) or CST (through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA).
- At least 2 years experience in a multi-disciplined or in an acute care hospital setting preferred.
Keywords: Surg Tech, Surgical Tech, NBSTA, Scrub, Operating Room Technician, Surgical Technician, CST, Certified Surgical Technologist, PACU, OR Tech, OR Assistant, Surgical Assistant
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.