Associate Scientist, Research & Development
San Francisco, CA
Job posting number: #7080308
Posted: June 23, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAbout Us
We’re Endless West, makers of molecular spirits. Our small, independent team of scientists, sommeliers, writers, chefs, and dropouts is creating the next generation of wine and spirits. Our work has already attracted significant interest from a range of people — whiskey enthusiasts, scientists, members of the culinary world, creatives in design, technology, and fashion — across the country. And we’re just getting going.
We’re relentlessly curious, optimistic enough to run after ambitious ideas, and skeptical enough to analyze every angle and consider every option. We support each other as colleagues and care about each other as people, believing that the health of our business can be measured by the health of our team. We are obsessed with leveraging scientific learning, creative storytelling and business expertise to explore the limits of what’s possible.
Everyone is welcome at Endless West. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized, or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable, and a passion for our mission goes a long way.
About the Role
We are looking for a product developer to join our R&D team at Endless West. The developer will help our product development team develop and prepare prototype formulations for many beverage types. They will also assist with preparation of sensory samples, small scale consumer beverage samples, help with compound dilutions and blending for production. As we are a start-up and small team, responsibilities can vary daily, and will also include general lab operations.
You’re highly-motivated and experienced enough to hit the ground running from day one. You're inquisitive. You understand which questions to ask, and how to apply sufficient scientific rigor to answer them. You aren’t afraid to articulate ideas and you aren’t afraid to be wrong. A startup work environment appeals to you. You’re able to laugh at yourself.
- Creative problem solving
- Prepare small and medium scale formulation batches of various beverage products
- Product formulation and scale-up
- Preparation of compound stocks and dilutions as needed
- Preparation of compound blends for production as needed
- Help with sensory analysis
- Help with experimental design, execution, analysis and reporting
- Safely handle and prepare large volumes of laboratory chemicals
- Document all experimental procedures in a laboratory or digital notebook
Studied Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, or a related field. Knowledge of solution preparation, chemical handling, and use of lab equipment including analytical balances and micropipettes are essential.
Please include both your resume and a cover letter in your application. Must be authorized to work in the USA.
Why Endless West?
We’ve got the standard benefits…
- Medical, dental, and vision
- Commuter benefits
- Ambassador’s Program ($250/quarter to purchase Endless West products)
- Competitive compensation, including equity
…but in a town full of companies that sell prospective hires on happy hours and ping pong tables, here’s what we are uniquely able to offer:
- A small, collaborative team. We don’t believe in hierarchy for hierarchy’s sake.
- Smart, friendly colleagues.
- Actual autonomy and agency. We choose empowerment over micromanagement.
- A team that values EQ as much as IQ.
- A team that values hard work but believes in the importance of self-care and taking meaningful breaks.
- An environment that encourages empathetic debate. We state cases, defend positions, argue productively, and make decisions together. We don’t have any issues with being wrong. People’s opinions are actively sought out and valued.
- An environment where we not only acknowledge the hard work and successes of our teammates, but also celebrate them.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you! Please click "Apply"!