Systems Software Engineer - Computing Services-2015533
Job posting number: #7069826
Posted: September 15, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Carnegie Mellon University is a private, global research university that stands among the world’s most renowned education institutions. With ground-breaking brain science, path-breaking performances, creative start-ups, big data, big ambitions, hands-on learning, and a whole lot of robots, CMU doesn’t imagine the future, we invent it. If you are passionate about joining a community that challenges the curious to deliver work that matters, your journey starts here.
The Computing Services central IT department provides services that have strategic impact on university goals. We make decisions based on interaction and valuable input from colleagues engaged in the education, research and administration efforts of the university. We are a learning organization and approach successes and mistakes as a learning experience to continually cultivate a culture of intelligent risk taking. Join us and be part of a team committed to excellence, innovation, diversity, team and individual growth.
The Enterprise Applications Development Team develops and supports several critical systems for the university. We are searching for a talented and passionate Systems Software Engineer to join a friendly team of developers and participate in crafting state of the art software to be used by students, faculty, and administrators of the university. You will help design, develop and maintain software in the Student Information Systems (SIS) arena and enjoy witnessing your creation be used by thousands in the campus community. Our team has been achieving great success through teamwork, innovation, cooperation, and accountability. We use Agile Software Development methodology for developing back end and user interfaces based on web technologies.
We are looking for a dedicated individual with strong oral/written communications, organizational skills and the ability to participate in cross-function teams. You must be deeply effective independently, but also thrive within a team environment.
Core Responsibilities include:
• Design and develop high quality software for Student Information System
• Maintain existing Java and C code
• Participate in elaboration, functional, and architectural meetings
• Develop and maintain technical documentation.
• Collaborate with CMU community business partners regarding technical issues and testing
You must demonstrate:
• Proficiency with Java and C applications, as well as shell and other scripting languages
• Ability to debug and troubleshoot C and java applications
• Proficiency with Oracle databases SQL queries development
• Knowledge on automated testing framework - unit testing and/or acceptance testing tools preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience is required. A degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems or related is preferred.
• A minimum of one (1) year of java programming is required.
• Operating in a Windows and Linux/Unix environment
• Experience with Agile Development Methodology (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
• Experience in a higher education environment
• Background check
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world. www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.