Assistant Director, UM Alabama Math, Science, and Technology Initiative (AMSTI-UM)
Job posting number: #7067228
Posted: June 25, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionGeneral Description
The purpose of this position is to assist the Director with the daily operation of the AMSTI-UM site.
Essential Job Duties
1. Assist the AMSTI-UM Director in coordinating the operation of the AMSTI site, including supervision of its staff, in accordance with AMSTI policies.
2. Plan and supervise a Summer Institute that includes instructional and resource components as identified by AMSTI – SDE.
3. Provide on-going, on-site assistance to regional schools as assigned by the Director.
4. Assist regional schools in effectively using professional learning teams and common planning time to improve math, science, and technology instruction.
5. Assist in developing a cadre of certified AMSTI trainers to support current and future professional learning opportunities.
6. Oversee and/or present PLUs and other professional learning opportunities for Alabama educators..
7. Provide training and guidance to regional school teacher leaders and coaches in math, science, and technology.
8. Assist in the effective operation of a materials distribution and refurbishment center including customizing kits and materials so that they are teacher/classroom friendly.
9. Conduct research on the effects of current math, science and technology practices in regional schools, as requested by the State Department of Education.
10. Assist regional schools in establishing teacher recruitment programs.
11. Assist local schools/systems in establishing and implementing mentoring programs for new math and science teachers.
12. Assist local colleges and universities with pre-service and continuing education activities.
13. Assist with the web and/or social media sites related to the activities of AMSTI.
14. Maintain records and complete paperwork in a timely manner.
15. Participate in professional development activities and staff meetings as required by the State Department of Education.
16. Perform other duties assigned by the AMSTI site director, AMSTI state director, the In-Service Center director, and the Dean of the College of Education and Human Development.
17. Provide leadership, evaluate, and supervise direct reports in performing duties as charged.
Essential Job Duties are intended to be examples of duties and are not intended to be all inclusive. There will be other duties as assigned. The individual holding this position will serve as a representative of the University and, as such, shall promote a positive impression by demonstrating a collegial and professional customer-service approach at all times.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong knowledge of the AMSTI program required
• Ability to develop in-person and online professional development required
• Knowledge of elementary content and pedagogy and/or secondary content and pedagogy in math and/or science required
• Strong record of budget management preferred
• Strong record of personnel management preferred
• Demonstrated competence in oral and written communication
Education and Experience
The educational requirement for this position is:
• Master’s Degree in education required
Experience substituted for education? No
The experience requirements for this position are:
• Five (5) years public school teaching and/or instructional leadership experience required
• Experience as an AMSTI trainer or specialist required
• Experience providing professional development for teachers required
Education substituted for experience? No
Licenses, Certification or Registrations
• Current Alabama Teacher Certification with concentration in math and/or science (or equivalent) required
• Current Alabama driver’s license and acceptable driving record required