Research Lab Manager
Job posting number: #7066585
Posted: May 29, 2020
Application Deadline: June 12, 2020
Job DescriptionVacancy #: 400294
Anticipated Hiring Range: $36,363-$45,000
Closing Date: 06/12/2020
Organizational Unit Overview
The Graber Neuromuscular Physiology Lab in the Department of Physical Therapy at East Carolina University is seeking a full-time (12-month) Research Scientist to manage and coordinate research laboratory activities.
The Graber lab investigates the underlying molecular mechanisms involved in age-related loss of muscle mass and strength that lead to the deterioration of physical function, and potential therapies to counteract this process.
Further information regarding the facilities and instruments associated with the lab can be found by navigating to the following page: https://cahs.ecu.edu/graberlab
This Research Specialist has to independently manage and coordinate activities in the lab, so that Dr. Graber and all students, postdocs, etc. can perform their research without disruptions. The successful candidate will have appropriate education and experience to perform the listed job duties and, importantly, to understand the nuances of this research, thus allowing her/him to make critical decisions in the lab when needed. Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
1. Inventory/ordering/receiving of equipment, animals and supplies
2. Maintenance and repair of all laboratory research equipment
3. Development and continuous updating of standard operating procedures and protocols
4. Mentoring undergraduate and graduate students in the design and execution of research projects
5. Selecting, designing, optimizing, and running specialized lab procedures (e.g., Enzymatic Activity Assays, Immunohistochemistry processes, q-rt_PCR, Western Immunoblotting) and conducting experiments in collaboration with the PI
6. Execute, troubleshoot, and analyze results of all lab procedures
7. Preparation of grant proposals, manuscripts, and preparations based on results from the lab experiments
8. Scheduling and preparing for inspections and other regulatory activities
9. Maintenance of lab records
10. Participation in regular lab meetings to present data and discuss lab business
11. Take the lead role on various research projects in consultation with the PI
12. Other duties as specified by the PI
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Master’s degree in a life science or related area, or bachelor’s degree in life science or related area plus 2 or more years of professional lab management experience. Expertise with one or more common biochemical wetlab techniques such as Western Blotting or rt-q-PCR, immunohistochemistry, and/or in functional/behavioral testing in rodents. Ability to work independently, with minimal oversight. Effective written, oral, and interpersonal skills. Ability to use programs such as SPSS to analyze data. Experience with mentorship of students or other junior lab members. Experience with grant proposal and/or manuscript preparation. Experience managing research projects. Experience with animal handling, including rodent colony management.
Special Instructions to Applicant
• Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application. Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
• If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
• Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from being considered but may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full time basis.
Application Types Accepted
Applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by the closing date of 06/12/2020 to be considered. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 400294 to ECU Human Resources at http://www.jobs.ecu.edu.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at http://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/36081