Biostatistician - Clinical Cancer Genomics
Job posting number: #7065898 (Ref:10006331)
Posted: April 25, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionThank you for your interest. Please note, the purpose of this posting is to recruit for on-going and future positions.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Departments of Surgery & Population Sciences at the City of Hope National Medical Center is seeking a Masters’ level Biostatistician to program, analyze, and summarize results of statistical analyses of data from clinical research projects. Projects will include, but are not limited to, investigation of the social determinants and genomic risk factors for lung cancer, patient-center interventions, and research in the application of genomic tests in the clinical setting. Under the guidance of a Ph.D. level Biostatistician & Epidemiologist, the biostatistician will collaborate with medical investigators conduct statistical programming to perform data manipulation and management, perform statistical analysis of clinical research data, and assist in writing reports for publication.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Consults on various research projects as assigned under supervision of a Ph.D. Biostatistician.
- Programs statistical analyses using statistical software packages.
- Collaborates with department personnel on research projects, relating statistical methods to medical or biological sciences, in particular under epidemiologic and observational study settings.
- Participates in the design, quality control, analysis and reporting of research protocols within the Medical Center and the Beckman Research Institute.
- Prepares summary reports of results and analytic methods, including tabular and graphic displays of data.
- Develops, establishes schedules, and monitors status of special projects on an ongoing basis.
- Participates in database design for projects as assigned.
- Participates in the development and improvement of the database system and oversees activity related to data entry.
- Maintains department records, reports, and files as required.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reviewing current literature, attending in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Attends meetings as required.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Master's Degree in statistics, biostatistics, or a closely related field or experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- One year of experience in biostatistical consulting and analysis, preferably in epidemiologic, observational, and randomized trial study settings. Experience with behavioral studies and geostatistical analysis is a plus.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- PhD in statistics, biostatistics, or a closely related field.
- Experience in the following techniques is strongly preferred: Descriptive Statistics, Power Calculations, Logistic and Linear Regression Analyses, Survival Analysis, Geospatial Analysis, Multi-level analysis/hierarchical modeling, Database management (i.e. Microsoft Access and/or REDCap)
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.