Postdoctoral Fellow in Cardiovascular Physiology
La Jolla, CA
Job posting number: #7060951 (Ref:http://postdocservices.ucsd.edu/PostDocOpp/Job/Det)
Posted: October 3, 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionSummary of the Position:
Postdoctoral fellow positions are immediately available in the laboratory of Dr. Ayako Makino at University of California, San Diego. The area of our research focuses on the vascular complication in diabetes, in particular mitochondrial function, calcium handling in the endoplasmic reticulum, and cell-cell communication in endothelial and smooth muscle cells.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct isometric tension measurements in distal coronary and pulmonary arteries using a wire myograph.
• Perform physiological experiments in mice (i.e., evaluation of cardiac function using Millar system [e.g., LVSP, RVSP, dP/dt, EF] and coronary flow reserve using ultrasound system.
• Make a cardiac ischemia/reperfusion model in mice.
• Isolate vascular endothelial/smooth muscle cells from mouse heart and lung.
• Conduct basic molecular biological experiments (e.g., Western Blot, PCR, qPCR).
• Perform fluorescence microscopy experiments to measure Ca2+ and ROS concentration in cytoplasm and mitochondria.
• Data acquisition and analysis, grant and manuscript preparation, and presentation of findings at weekly lab meetings.
• Coordinate with other investigators for lab research including maintaining the function of lab equipment, managing the lab research record (including methodological approaches and animal protocols), and maintaining transgenic mouse colony.
Qualifications Required and Preferred Academic Background:
Successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences, M.D. or equivalent degree. A strong record of productivity in cardiovascular physiology (dissection of small arteries from mice, isometric tension measurement, and evaluation of cardiac function [e.g., LVSP, RVSP]) is required.
According UCSD standards/regulations
Special Instructions to Applicant:
The applicants should send a C.V., a letter of interest, and the names and contact information of three references to email@example.com . The detailed information about this position can be found at http://postdocservices.ucsd.edu/PostDocOpp/Job/Details/1459 .
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.