Research Scholar (Post-Doc)
San Francisco, CA
Job posting number: #7056868
Posted: April 9, 2019
Job DescriptionPosition Definition:
This position will be located at the San Francisco VA Medical Center. The Research Scholar will be working under Dr. Steven Yukl, Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), on NIH-sponsored grants. Dr. Yukl’s research focuses on understanding barriers to curing HIV, with an emphasis on latent HIV infection and tissue reservoirs. A postdoctoral fellow (Ph.D., M.D., or M.D./Ph.D.) is needed to advance HIV cure research aimed at understanding the mechanisms of latent HIV infection. These projects involve the implementation and development of laboratory assays to apply to samples from infected and uninfected individuals as well as laboratory models of latency. This position is training under Dr. Yukl.
• Assist in maintaining and monitoring all equipment and procedures for quality control
• Review pertinent medical literature
• Design and execute experiments using cellular, biochemical, and molecular biology techniques
• Process human biological samples, including isolation of cells from blood and tissues; store and ship samples
• Perform molecular biology procedures, including DNA and RNA isolation, PCR, gel electrophoresis, reverse transcription, ddPCR, next generation sequencing, and possibly others
• Perform cell culture procedures, including culture of primary cells, flow cytometry, single cell analysis methods, and possibly other techniques
• Implement, trouble-shoot, optimize, and develop new assays, making innovative contributions to laboratory procedures
• Assist with training of research methods and approaches to laboratory group
• Maintain detailed written record of work performed
• Perform analysis of experiment results and findings, including data collection, entry, statistical analysis, and graph creation
• Produce written reports detailing results of experiments and analysis of results; draft manuscripts of results for publication
• Present oral and/or poster reports at laboratory, local, and national meetings
• Assist with composition of grant applications
• Adhere to data security requirements
• Perform other duties as assigned
• PhD in biological related science, MD, MD/PhD, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• 2+ years of related work experience desirable
• Knowledge of principles and practice of cellular and molecular biology
• Working knowledge of safety standards in laboratories
• Solid interpersonal skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Careful attention to detail; ability to accurately follow experimental protocols
• Ability to manage multiple projects, tasks, and priorities to achieve desired goals.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to think creatively and solve problems
• Ability to work under minimal supervision
• Strong written/oral communication skills
• Computer literacy with full working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and graphing software
• Ability to analyze data and perform statistical analyses.
• Ability to make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
For more information about NCIRE -- The Veterans Health Research Institute or to apply for this exciting opportunity, please visit us at www.ncire.org and select job #19-0037 or you may apply directly, by cutting and pasting the below link into your browser:
NCIRE --The Veterans Health Research Institute is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Per San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance, NCIRE - The Veterans Health Research Institute will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories
• Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.