Visiting Research Specialist (Biochemistry)
Job posting number: #7056030 (Ref:110616)
Posted: February 20, 2019
Application Deadline: March 22, 2019
Job DescriptionThe Institute for Tuberculosis Research in the College of Pharmacy at UIC seeks to fill multiple Visiting Research Specialist positions in the area of biology and biochemistry. This position contributes to the design and delivery of research projects and collaborates with researchers to develop, execute and interpret research projects. Performs complex laboratory and data collection techniques.
The duties of this position include the plasmid transformation into bacterial cells, small and large-scale bacterial culture and protein over-expression, protein purification using Ni-affinity, ion-exchange and size-exclusion chromatography. Experience with binding analyses of biomolecules using Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR), Isothermal Titration Calorimetry (ITC), or Thermal Shift Assay (TSA) would be beneficial, but not required.
Additional lab research duties:
• Collaborates with Principle Investigator and researchers to develop objectives and design of research projects and proposals.
• Formulates and conducts scientific experiments and analyses. Performs complex data collection and laboratory techniques. Analyze and evaluate test and research results.
• Replicates, refines and adds new research approaches based on project needs. Tests, customizes and implements new methods, procedures and techniques.
• Develop and write advanced, comprehensive experimental protocols.
• Monitor project developments on an ongoing basis. Propose and implement changes as needed.
• Contributes material, prepares results and assist in the writing of research findings for publications, papers, presentations, grants, and other documents for publication.
• Assist principal investigator in grant and manuscript submission.
Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in the biological sciences, biochemistry or related field required. Master’s degree in science preferred.
A minimum of 3 years related research experience.
Possesses and applies comprehensive knowledge of research principles, concepts, practices and methods. Proficient in specific lab research techniques.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. For fullest consideration, interested applicants must submit a complete application package through the university’s online application system by March 22, 2019.
The application package should include a cover letter of interest, curriculum vitae and the contact information for three professional references. The application must be submitted through the following website: https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=110616
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.