Infrastructure Resilience and Security Analyst
Job posting number: #7101112 (Ref:412438)
Posted: May 26, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Through evaluations of the resilience and security of critical infrastructure systems at local, regional, national, and global levels, provides analytical support to the Decision and Infrastructure Sciences (DIS) Division. This role includes examining and developing tools, datasets, and strategies for assessing the security and resilience of critical infrastructure assets and systems. This applied research includes:
- Identifying relevant human-caused threats and natural hazards, including (but not limited to) future implications related to climate change;
- Analyzing asset and system vulnerabilities to various threats and hazards;
- Evaluating consequences of disruption or destruction of infrastructure systems, including estimating potential cascading impacts on related infrastructure and essential services (transportation, water, food, finance, emergency services, telecommunications, etc.);
- Identifying potential protection and mitigation measures for infrastructure assets and systems; and
- Integrating results into response and recovery planning related to infrastructure systems.
IN THIS POSITION, THE CANDIDATE WILL:
- Support principal investigators in the development and implementation of research methodologies to analyze the resilience and security of infrastructure systems.
- Develop and apply appropriate infrastructure security and resilience analysis methodologies to understand how public and private infrastructure function under normal and adverse conditions.
- Evaluate interdependencies among infrastructure assets and systems using qualitative and quantitative research methods and estimate potential cascading impacts of infrastructure disruptions on essential services.
- Develop/contribute to analyses, assessment tools, models, visualizations, reports, and technical publications in support of sponsored research programs on infrastructure systems.
- Develop concept papers on emerging topics and issues related to security and resilience of infrastructure systems.
- Participate in conferences, seminars, and meetings as requested by principal investigators and sponsors.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
TO BE CONSIDERED, A CANDIDATE MUST HAVE:
- Advanced degree in a relevant engineering field (e.g., civil, transportation, hydrologic, architectural), urban/regional planning, or related discipline.
- Knowledge of one or more critical infrastructure sectors (e.g., water and wastewater systems, energy, communications, transportation, food and agriculture).
- Experience conducting statistical analysis and data visualization using relevant software (e.g., R, Tableau) and programming languages (e.g., Python, SQL).
- Experience designing research projects about infrastructure resilience and security; developing, testing, and applying relevant analytic methods; and presenting results to multi-disciplinary audiences.
- Skill in oral and written communication, particularly in integrating information from various sources into cohesive reports and analyses.
- Skill in independently developing technical approaches as well as contributing effectively to team efforts to meet research requirements.
- Skill in producing end-results within defined timeframes through a combination of self-motivated and manager-directed initiatives, often with tight deadlines.
- Professional certifications in relevant disciplines encouraged but not required (e.g., Certified Protection Professional (CPP), Physical Security Professional (PSP), American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP))
- Selected candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance and must be a U.S. citizen. Please see http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm for more information about requirements for obtaining a security clearance process.
RD2: Bachelor's Degree and 5+ years work experience, or Master's Degree and 3+ years work experience, or Doctorate and 0 years or their equivalents.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileInfrastructure Assurance Analysis 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.