Senior Financial Analyst
Job posting number: #7098558 (Ref:10016537)
Posted: April 26, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
This position plays a key support role for multi-business units by providing accurate and timely financial information and analytics, identifying opportunities to streamline processes, and partnering to improve enterprise performance. This position will help to manage the accounting and financial reporting and analysis of City of Hope Medical Foundation, City of Hope Medical Group, and other applicable units that pertain to the clinical enterprise. The Medical Foundation, part of the Affiliated Group of City of Hope, is a California nonprofit public benefit corporation that operates outpatient clinic facilities that provide an extensive range of medical care and treatment.
City of Hope Medical Group, a separate enterprise from City of Hope, was incorporated in California as a professional corporation in 2010. The group is composed of specialty physicians who deliver care to patients at City of Hope.
As this role will be responsible for review and analysis of key financial statement line items, a high degree of professionalism and ability to sensitively deal with confidential material will be expected.
This role will also require a strong accounting and financial analysis background, as the associate will be responsible for the integrity of financial reporting and analysis of complex transactions involving multi-business units.
This role will need to liaise with various associates within the Corporate Accounting team to ensure a timely month-end close, which will include preparation of financial statements and review of key enterprise metrics. Aside from working with associates on the Corporate Accounting team, the individual will need to work closely with various levels of management throughout the organization to ensure financial reporting integrity, while also identifying key opportunities/risks to year-end commitments. In addition, this role will be expected to make recommendations and provide key insights relative to process improvements that drive efficiencies.
The individual will be the Subject Matter Expert (SME) through collaboration with business operations to understand key drivers of revenue and expenses, and profitability by location/region. Will need to develop an understanding of key revenue and expense components (including but not limited to physician compensation and outpatient clinic operating expenses).
Key Responsibilities include:
- Prepare journal entries and related analysis for month-end close, and prepare financial statements for Medical Foundation, Medical Group, and other business units affiliated with the Medical Foundation.
- Performs variance analysis against budget and prior periods, and identify and explain trends on key accounts and KPIs
- Performs analysis and interpretation of financial data, and collaborate with Finance and Operational team to understand key drivers of revenue/expenses and profitability at site level.
- Prepare various month-end schedules/reports, financial review presentations, and lead discussions at financial review meetings.
- Identify opportunities for automation and collaborate with key stakeholders throughout the organization for implementation.
- Analyze and document the financial implications and accounting transactions of key contracts, and ensure financial reporting are accurate.
- Present results of analysis directly to senior leadership through the creation and delivery of compelling and insightful presentations.
- Ensure operating expenses are accurately stated via a monthly view of outstanding accruals (Foundation and Group)
- Work with Senior Manager as it pertains to maintenance of General Ledger Chart of Accounts for multiple business units. Will need to reconcile and analyze select general ledger accounts, ensuring reconciliations are occurring on a consistent and timely basis where applicable.
- Support annual financial audits (Medical Foundation, Medical Group and other applicable business units) regarding accounting procedures and data, such as providing lead sheets, PBC list support/schedules, variance analysis, etc
- Proactively identify and analyze business issues and opportunities, challenge status quo, and promote continuous process improvement by making recommendations for future actions and implementation.
- Support the Senior Manager of Accounting Operations in providing ad hoc financial analysis for decision support
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or Business-related field
- five years accounting / finance working experience
Preferred education experience and skills:
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.