The Research Coordinator I will become an active member of a translational research team investigating Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease and related conditions. Will provide responsible coordination and assistance in support of clinical research projects by completing assignments requiring a basic knowledge of fundamental techniques and practices related to neurology and genetics, while working under minimal supervision by a higher-level research staff member. Training in specialized research methods will be provided.
- Participates in studies directed by Dr. Joshua Shulman and colleagues in both the Parkinson’s Disease Center and Movement Disorders Clinic and the Center for Alzheimer’s and Neurodegenerative Diseases. Dr. Shulman’s research integrates experimental genetic approaches using animal models and direct investigation of human subjects to discovery genetic factors responsible for neurologic disorders.
- Assists with recruitment, informed consent, interviewing, and structured examination of human research subjects.
- Performs phlebotomy to collect samples for genetic investigation, and will be responsible for the handling, processing, and banking of such tissue samples, such as preparation of DNA from blood.
- Performs additional duties related to the ongoing research efforts of the laboratory.
- Collects, analyzes and appropriately documents experimental results.
- Trains in specialized research methods.
- Consents and enrolls human subjects into research studies after being trained by the principal investigator and with supervision from the project manager.
- Triages and coordinates requests for biological specimen (saliva, blood) or tests from investigators.
- Contacts subjects who are selected for biological specimen and arrange for the sample collection. This will involve using universal precautions for handling human samples, and performing phlebotomy for blood sample collection.
- Performs basic molecular biology protocols for DNA sample preparation and management.
- Instructs subjects to complete questionnaires pertinent to the research studies.
- Maintains detailed records of research activities, including study protocols and records of subject enrollment and sample collection.
- Assists in the basic upkeep of institutional review board (IRB) documents for the active studies, including submission of amendments and continual review.
- Attends courses in safety procedures for the handling, storage and disposal of biohazardous, infectious, radioactive and toxic substances, ensuring that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with such procedures.
- Helps prepare and perform research experiments; evaluate and analyze data; and document results.
- Conducts literature searches and summarize information in an appropriate format for a particular study.
- Orders laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Maintains the laboratory and workspace area in a neat orderly condition.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Three years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care.
- Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective.
- Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve.
- Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.
Please mention to the employer that you saw this ad on Sciencejobs.org