Assistant Finance Director, School of Nursing
Job posting number: #7055702
Posted: February 3, 2019
Job DescriptionJob Description Summary:
The School of Nursing (SON) Finance Office is responsible for all facets of the school’s financial operations and management including collection and disbursement of funds, accounting, reporting, and planning. Working in close collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, the Finance Office oversees financial controls, compiles key business metrics, and leads budgeting, planning, and forecasting for the school.
The School of Nursing is searching for a skilled and organized Assistant Finance Director that is responsible for the day-to-day management of budget & accounting functions within the school. Under the leadership of the Finance Director, the Assistant Finance Director manages two staff and will be responsible for managing financial analysis and forecasting; reviewing and approving financial transactions; payroll matters; and contract and vendor management. The Assistant Finance Director plays a key role in both the identification and development of enhancements to School financial processes as well as fostering good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be a detail-oriented, collaborative team player who is a skilled project manager and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment on varied activities that support the school’s finance & strategic plans. This position will report to the Finance Director and supervise two financial positions. The key responsibilities are:
• Under the leadership of Finance Director, and in collaboration with school program/departmental leadership, develop annual and multiple year budget projections including revenue tracking and projections.
• Monitor revenue and expenses against approved budget and prepare quarterly forecast analyses and reports to school and university stakeholders. Lead the analysis of results and variances, identifying trends and recommending actions to Finance Director
• Under guidance of the Finance Director, lead the assembly and summarization of data for internal and external constituencies. Prepare regular and ad-hoc reports using complex excel functions and modeling techniques. Present findings to leadership.
• Provide direct supervision of full time financial analysts as well as functional oversight of the administrative support staff of the School’s Departments as it relates to their financial administrative activities. Serve as first point of contact for issue resolution.
• Oversee the processing of financial transactions for SON throughout the fiscal year including, but not limited to, contract, requisition, and supplier management; payment requests; stipends; expense reports; journal entries; and accounts receivable activities. Ensure that transactions comply with financial operating procedures and policies. Facilitate year-end closing activities.
• Prepare and conduct training sessions for support staff concerning financial and personnel policies, as well as using University financial systems and policies.
• Assist the Finance Director in matters related to research administration and human resource matters (labor, payroll, and time keeping.)
• Recommend enhancements and implement procedures/policies that govern financial and
personnel activities for the School. Develop guidelines, training, and
documentation that outlines policies and procedures.
• Foster and cultivate good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Represent the Finance Office on University and School committees.
• Maintain professional expertise through attendance at relevant and appropriate training courses as approved.
• Perform other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
This position is located at the GW Ashburn Campus; occasional travel to GW Foggy Bottom campus will be required.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 6 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 4 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications:
Advanced Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related field. Excel modeling and analysis skills. Demonstrated project management and supervisory experience. Experience in a university environment is highly desirable, as is experience with financial systems such as Oracle and Banner.